Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Livin' Up 2

This week's title may seem a little obscure but bear with me. Last night I had the opportunity to talk with a man named Steve. To make a long story short, Steve has opened a wellness center here in Marysville called - Livin' Up 2. I have been working out at this place for a little over a week now and didn't really know what the name meant until last night.
By about midnight the concept of Livin' Up 2 really sunk in. Steve asked the question, "Do you feel that you are living up to your potential?" For many of us, we really don't know how to answer that question. I believe that much of the population of the United States doesn't even know what their potential is - much less live up to it.
This caused me to think - how does this idea of Livin' Up 2 correlate to what we're doing at church? In a way, we are inviting and even challenging people to live up to their potential. And again much like the physical side of wellness - many don't know what their spiritual potential is.
Jesus is clear about our spiritual potential. All things are possible through Christ who strengthens us. This means that with the power of Christ in our lives, we are able to do anything. YES - ANYTHING!
But how do we access that potential? The long and short of it is that we must rely on God to overcome our weaknesses. This is easier said than done - but in order to live up to our potential - God has to take the wheel sometimes and we need to quit backseat driving.
So the question naturally follows - are you living up to your potential? If so, please share with me how you feel you are able to do this. If not, what is the first step that you are going to take to get yourself UP to your full potential?
Blessings to all of you as you move toward your full potential in all aspects of your life.
For those of you who want to learn more about Livin' Up 2 Wellness Center - click HERE!

1 comment:

Village-Block Captain said...

I think will all levels of personal commitment, we first need to ask ourselves. How committed are we to that person. And I believe that first starts with where is the relationship between you and that person. If someone on the street just walked up to you and asked 'how committed are you or are you living up 2 your potential’. You will probably hesitate for a moment. And then ask them what does that mean. And then probably start asking yourself, who is this person. But when someone you care for, or respect, or trust or all the other descriptions that come to mind, when you think of a close friend or someone you have close relationship ask this question. You may be more inclined to answer it. As you feel comfortable sharing an answer to the question. And the feeling comfortable is from ‘building’ a relationship with this person over time. And knowing they have your best interest in mind when asking you this question. And asking you this question, is to make you a better person, by trusting they will not judge you on areas you feel you may not have met your own expectations (or living up 2 your potential). And those areas in our lives are only shared with a few people. As I know that is how I am. I just don’t let anyone into my personal life, unless I feel/know they care about me. It goes back to that old saying, “no one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care”. And for me, and I’m guessing for a lot of people, one of those individuals in our lives that we feel comfortable sharing our thoughts (dreams, goals) with, is Jesus. As we already know how much he cares for all of us. As he paid the ultimate sacrifice a friend can do for another friend. And that was to die for our sins, so we may all one day join him and his father in heaven. And he even did it before we knew him. Talk about a friend having your back. So when I ask myself, am I living up to my potential for being a friend back to Jesus? I feel the answer is no. As I know I have not used my spiritual gifts to my fullest potential. And part of not doing that is my own fears or what I feel our weaknesses I have. But at the same time, Jesus wants me to communicate his love by using those spiritual gifts I do have. Or to me, those gifts that come natural to me. And when I don’t live as a disciple of Jesus, he is still my friend at the end of the day, every day. That is why I know I can always talk to him about what is on my mind or how I feel. As he will never judge me. As it was his father, who made me(knew me) before I existed. And knowing that, I don’t have to ask myself ‘how much does Jesus care’. As he will always be the one who never stopped caring. And knowing that, I will always strive to ‘Live Up 2’ my potential, as Jesus knows that I can.